Chicago, Ft Myers, Paris...Oh My!

When it comes to winning things I've never been very lucky. Somehow over the past few months my luck has seemed to change. A lot of people seem to think that if you think positively than positive things will happen. Maybe that's why I've had a change of luck for the good? I seem to have a more positive outlook on life lately. 

I registered for the NYC marathon, my dream race, since that is my hometown. I wasn't accepted. Where's the good luck then you ask? Well, the entry to the lottery for the Chicago Marathon opened right after the draw for New York took place. I figured I'd try my luck for Chicago. I was supposed to run Chicago last year, but due to an injury I was unable to run.


The day of the Chicago drawing I wound up being a lot more anxious than I thought I would be. I kept checking and re-checking my e-mail, frantically awaiting a response. When I finally found out I was accepted I actually almost cried tears of joy. I felt my eyes start to well up with tears and I probably had the biggest smile on my face. I immediately called Adam (my boyfriend) to tell him this awesome news. 

Unlike other races I've registered for in advance I was all excited to prepare for this race. Then it dawned on me that I was registered for another marathon close to the time of Chicago - the Ft. Myers Beach marathon. This one was taking place on November 9th. Chicago is held on October 12th. I had stumbled upon a group on for the Ft Myers marathon and registered for only $34. I also got Adam to agree to register. It will be his first marathon!


As long as I trained properly, which sadly I've never done, I knew I could pull it off. My legs have gotten stronger from T25 already, so now I know I just have to stick to a marathon training plan. As long as I remain disciplined I know I can achieve whatever I put my mind to. 

I was already excited about my upcoming race plans when I came across a picture on Instagram. It was on an entry into another marathon lottery. This one, however, was a bit more exotic. It was for the Paris Marathon. I went back and forth with myself for a little bit contemplating whether I should even enter the lottery. It wasn't so much a question of running the milage. If I could run 26.2 miles in Chicago or Ft Myers I could run it anywhere. Why wouldn't I want to run them in Paris? It was the whole idea of traveling all the way across the globe to run a marathon that I was questioning. It would be an expensive trip to run a race.


The lottery was free to enter, so I decided why not? So many people enter these types of things and very few get picked. If I was actually chosen I would take that as a sign that I needed to go do it. Then it happened. I got an E-mail. Felicitations. I had won the draw for the Paris marathon lottery. How was I going to pull this off? I had some time to actually register for my spot in the lottery, so I talked it over with Adam. Would we be able to go? We decided this was going to be a once in a lifetime experience for me, and it would be an awesome vacation for us. When else would I be able to run under the Eiffel Tower, by the Arc de Triomphe? Who gets to see Paris this way?

If you want to make something happen, then you make it happen. Dream Big! And that's what we are going to do. The race isn't until next April, so we don't have it all worked out yet, but I'll be running a marathon in Paris! AHHH!

And then there's one more crazy idea I have brewing in my brain. I'm running a marathon in October. I'm running one in November. Could I possibly pick out a December race too and qualify for Marathon Maniacs? If you run 3 marathons in 90 days you qualify. I'm already a half fanatic, so I would be a double agent. I'm tempted!


Where is the most interesting place you have ever run?