#LoveThighself - Stop Being So Critical

I came across a blog post the other day that really made me think. Why exactly is it that we are so critical of ourselves? I know I'm speaking from my own mind, but I'm pretty sure a lot of people are this way too. We sit and analyze things that are wrong with us, or could be better. Could we be prettier, thinner? Could we be better at our jobs? Better bloggers? I'm sure most of the time we say yes. We focus on negative things about ourselves way too much of the time.


How do we stop this negative thinking when theres so many positive things we should be focusing on about ourselves? Well, one was is to force ourselves to be positive and find our strengths. I read through Erin's blog and I thought she sounded a lot like myself. I'm pretty hard on myself, yet I give an overabundance of compliments to others. Why is that? Why is it so hard to compliment myself?

I decided that her and Denise had come up with a brilliant idea: #LoveThighself . For the 28 days of February you are to come up with ways to compliment yourself. This way you stop focusing on the negative and start focusing on the positive.

It's day 3, and already I find that I am struggling. Day 1 was a bit easy for me - I ran a half marathon, so I complimented myself on my finish. After that, I realized it would become a struggle. Why? Why is it SO hard to compliment myself?

Did I not want to sound silly? Or cocky? Did I really not have 27 other nice things I could say about myself?

Then I remembered the other day when I was out for a run and had an epiphany. I actually got emotional because I was proud of myself. A list of things I have struggled with and overcome ran through my head. I was strong. I was determined. I was empowered. I don't know what happened on that run, or why this flood of emotions occurred, but I was happy, and looking at myself in a positive light. Why don't I do this more often? I need to.

And so, for the next month I am making it a point to participate in this challenge and to #LoveThighself. Because you must love yourself first before you can spread that love to others. You should be strong and confident in yourself. I'm hoping that this challenge will help change the way I look at myself and help me focus on more of the positives. I'll let you know how it turns out.