Purple Stride 5k

Whenever I run a race I typically do it just for the love of running and to challenge myself to be better than before. I've never been a charity runner, although I've been dabbling with the idea of doing it next year for a marathon. I'd have to pick a charity that was important to me, that I actually would be passionate about helping, and not just be a charity runner just to get a spot in the race. 

And that rambling brings me to a race that I found that supports a charity that I feel passionate about. Unfortunately I found out about the race too late to take off from work to run it, but I'm registered as a virtual runner, and will make sure to get my 3.1 miles in for the cause.  





The Purple Strides 5k is an event to support the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. Pancreatic cancer is the most under-funded, under-recognized and least-studied of all major cancer killers with only two percent of the National Cancer Institute's annual budget dedicated to pancreatic cancer research. It is estimated that more than 45,000 Americans will be diagnosed with pancreatic cancer this year, and more than 38,000 will die from the disease. It is the fourth leading cause of cancer death, with a five-year survival rate of just 6%. 
Pancreatic cancer has the lowest relative survival rate of any major cancer.


This cause is important to me because I have witnessed this horrific disease in action. A few years ago a close friend of mine had to watch his mother deal with the effects of this disease.  Apparently most people don't get diagnosed until it's too late. And then the disease acts quickly. This lovely woman, with so many years ahead of her, was taken way too soon. I watched her and her family suffer knowing that she didn't have much time left. Knowing that there is nothing you can do to change the outcome of this disease is something no one should have to deal with.

And so, all I can do is hope that one day we will have a cure for pancreatic cancer. In order to find one there needs to be research, and much of this research is funded by donations and events such as the Purple Stride 5k. 


The race will take place on Saturday, November 2nd in beautiful St. Petersburg at Albert Whitted Park & Playground.
The 5k Run will start at 8:45am and the 5k & 1 mile walks will start at 9am.
Registration is at 7am, opening ceremonies at 8am, and closing ceremonies at 10am. 

Albert Whitthed Park is located at 480 Bayshore Blvd SE, Saint Petersburg, FL 33701
Parking is available at the Progress Energy Center for the Arts, located at 400 First Street South, Saint Petersburg, FL 33701. Parking is $5 per vehicle.

Want to win a free entry to this race? I'm giving away one entry below!

I'd also appreciate any donations, no matter what size. You can do so here . Every little bit will help fund research, support patients, and create hope for those affected with pancreatic cancer. 

I hope that many people will join in and run this race for such a great cause. I also hope this 
will help spread awareness for a disease that needs much more attention.


For more information about the race check out their webpage here.




a Rafflecopter giveaway
Click Here to Donate