Changes

Sometimes you just need a change. Sometimes changes are forced. And sometimes there are things in your life you just have to change. I have decided on making some changes in my life. I've also decided on writing about them here so I hold myself accountable - now that I know a few people are reading!

I guess since it's almost the end of 2012, I am setting some goals for myself for this coming year. I've done things I thought I could never do this year. I've changed a lot as a person. I feel that I have grown in a few different ways, and I'd like to keep up that change. In the beginning of 2012 I could not run a mile. I've now completed 6 half marathons and multiple other races. Four of those halves were on consecutive weekends and made me a half fanatic. I'd like to take this a step further next year. 

In 2013 I plan on running a marathon. Part of me thinks this is crazy, and part of me thinks if I couldn't run a mile and I can now run 13, why wouldn't I be able to double that? I have a plan and I have changes I would need to make. But I know what I need to do. 

I'm pretty certain that I'm just going to go out on a whim and register for the 2013 Chicago Marathon as soon as I am able. I'm choosing Chicago for multiple reasons. From what I have heard and read it is a good marathon to start with. The temperatures at the time of the race are usually pretty cool and I run better in lower temps. And it's a huge race. Maybe the spectators can keep me going if I ever feel like giving up. It's also right around my birthday, so it will be a way to celebrate. 

I've looked up a training program and already written out my schedule. My first run according to plan would have to be June 11. I'd have to be dedicated. I'd have to do the training in full, not like I've done with halves. The marathon distance is hardcore - and I actually want to finish!

I've thought of other things I would need to change. I need to get myself healthier. For one, hopefully I get this whole rapid heart rate thing under control. I also need to start eating better and taking better care of myself. I don't eat super healthy and I'm not afraid to pig out when I want. Luckily for me I'm not one of those people who have to work out 5-6 times a week to try to maintain my weight. I'm in pretty good shape without having to work that hard at it. I've actually gained a little weight since running, because I'm hungry all the time. I need to start feeding my body healthier foods. I need to hydrate myself more properly. I need to make sure I get the nutrients I need to support myself throughout this intense journey. I plan on making these changes in 2013. 

I also want to get stronger. I'll have the first 6 months of the year to go to the gym, get my body stronger and work on adding speed work to my runs. I don't have the fastest pace in the world and Id like to see if I can improve it at all before I start training. 

So, basically I want to focus on myself - get stronger and faster. Get healthier. Take better care of myself. And hopefully be ready to run 26.2 in about 10 months. Ahhh!