Training

Running takes a lot of practice and a lot of learning. It also takes a lot of discipline. I've run a few 5k races without really doing any training. Or going a week or so without running. I've gone on a 10 day vacation with only running 1 day. But now I have all of these long races planned. I don't want to run them the way I did my first half. I want to go into them having some idea of what I'm doing. I want to be able to pace myself. I want to be able to set a goal and reach it. I want to get better as I go through them. And I know that won't happen with each race, but with some I want to be able to speed up. And I know this will all take training.

I knew I had to do other things besides just run. I tried out Insanity, which looked crazy hard. I didn't think I'd be able to do it, but I've done a few of the workouts, and I can actually do most of it! I surprise myself sometimes! They ARE pretty hardcore, but I like them. I also tried Barre Fitness, which it a mixture of pilates, yoga, and ballet style movements. This really worked on my legs which I thought was great to strengthen me for running. I downloaded the Nike Training Club Ap on my phone and have done workouts on there. I like the 15 minute workouts. I can fit those in here and there when I don't have time. I've done a little bit of yoga and I like that too for the stretching - I feel running has made me less flexible. And I've recently joined a gym for some strength training and treadmill work when it's too hot. And I can use the elliptical to cross train as well, although I haven't done that yet =)

So I started my official half -marathon training on August 30. I know it was mid-week, but why put it off until the next week? I knew what I had to run. I ran 3 miles. Saturdays long run called for 5, but I ran my first official group run with Run Tampa. Most of the members are training for the Chicago Marathon Oct 7, so they were running 20 miles. Carla was doing 10. I figured I'd run with her. I hadn't been running as much as I should have been so why not? She was a little late so I started before she got there. I would up running 12.83. Oops. A tad more than I was supposed to run.
Sunday rest day. Monday I started an insanity workout but sadly I didn't finish it. I was really tired. And my ankle was sore. I wound up keeping it wrapped for most of the week.
Poor ankle! I decided not to run on it that week. I went to the gym and just worked on my arms and legs instead, as long as the exercises didn't bother my ankles. I'd rather heal then hurt it too bad and have to stay off longer. 

Today called for 4 miles. I woke up at 5 am to go out to Hernando County for a Run to Remember 5k honoring the people who lost their lives on September 11, 2001. 
3.1 miles done. Time: 31:01. I really want to break 30 minutes for a 5k here in humid Florida. Maybe next time.
Then off to work, day of hell from 11-7:30. Then I hit the gym. Did some weight training and did my last mile for the day on the treadmill. Woohoo did my 4 miles!

Thurs calls for another 4 miles, and Sunday is the Hooters2Hooters 10K.  We'll see how that goes!

Oh yes, and another thing that is keeping me motivated to do all of my training is that I can actually see progress! I was looking back on my previous post about my races and noticed a difference in my running pictures between June and August! I think my legs look a bit stronger and muscular. That made me happy! 

June                    August


So I'm going to keep focused and try as hard as possibly to stick with my training program! Hopefully it all works out well!